Offshore Dana Point 9/14

Moderators: hobiefish, Torpedo

Offshore Dana Point 9/14

Postby hobiefish » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Got a text from BJ this week asking if I was interested in an offshore run. This is his first offshore run on his new jetski so I hope he enjoyed the day.

I showed him how to look for kelp paddies offshore; he showed me how to catch a yellow tail on an iron.

Let me say that the weather was great this morning. We saw a whale, numerous pods of dolphins and lots of small paddies with tons of bait but just no fish on most. This was 25 miles off-shore approx. 3 miles below the 209:

More to follow later.
hobiefish

Re: Offshore Dana Point 9/14

Postby tenacious » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:07 pm

very nice! i look forward to hearing the full report.
tenacious

Postby BJMin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Launching Fee = $10
Monster sardines for bait= $10
Gas money for the trip = $65
Smile :P from catching a yellowtail = almost priceless

Running out of gas :oops: 100 yards from ramp and being towed in by Duane = :lol: PRICELESS

Duane
Thanks for being a gracious host.

Would have been a phenomenal trip if that one paddy had produced more.

Foggy and wet start to the trip but saw a huge gray whale no more than 100 feet from us. Large number of dolphin pods with some baby dolphins mixed in. Playful.

Flat seas for most of the time making spotting paddies somewhat easy once we got offshore.

The big paddy was abandoned by a private boater we had run across earlier after the fish developed lockjaw. Dropped a blue jig and yoyo'ed it for a quick bite by the rat yellowtail. Saw lots of yellows with one big dodo swimming but they quickly went down. Duane worked the paddy hard with chum to no avail for at least an hour.

Worked our way back when my fuel alarm went off. Started sputtering at mouth of marina and died out inside the harbor. Thankfully Duane followed me al the way in and was able to tow me in the 100 yards to the ramp. Guess i know my range now. Who needs Vessel Assist. Just call Duane. :lol:

A fun trip whether we had caught fish or not. Great way to get introduced to offshore. Don't know how Duane can do it all alone out there. Scary when you have no idea where land.

Again Thank you Duane and hope that thumb heals

Quick question
Those with an 2012+ FXHO. what kind of range are you getting?
Don't understand how I ran out of gas after 60 miles?
BJMin

Postby tractng » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:18 pm

BJMin wrote:Launching Fee = $10
Monster sardines for bait= $10
Gas money for the trip = $65
Smile :P from catching a yellowtail = almost priceless

Running out of gas :oops: 100 yards from ramp and being towed in by Duane = :lol: PRICELESS

Duane
Thanks for being a gracious host.

Would have been a phenomenal trip if that one paddy had produced more.

Foggy and wet start to the trip but saw a huge gray whale no more than 100 feet from us. Large number of dolphin pods with some baby dolphins mixed in. Playful.

Flat seas for most of the time making spotting paddies somewhat easy once we got offshore.

The big paddy was abandoned by a private boater we had run across earlier after the fish developed lockjaw. Dropped a blue jig and yoyo'ed it for a quick bite by the rat yellowtail. Saw lots of yellows with one big dodo swimming but they quickly went down. Duane worked the paddy hard with chum to no avail for at least an hour.

Worked our way back when my fuel alarm went off. Started sputtering at mouth of marina and died out inside the harbor. Thankfully Duane followed me al the way in and was able to tow me in the 100 yards to the ramp. Guess i know my range now. Who needs Vessel Assist. Just call Duane. :lol:

A fun trip whether we had caught fish or not. Great way to get introduced to offshore. Don't know how Duane can do it all alone out there. Scary when you have no idea where land.

Quick question
Those with an 2012+ FXHO. what kind of range are you getting?
Don't understand how I ran out of gas after 60 miles?

Nice jet ski. I think you have a 2013 based on the seat (i like the new material) & red color. I think you should get at least 80 miles. I have a 2012 FXHO and run on 80 miles easily on a tank. I went to Catalina on Labor Day weekend and racked up 80 miles with 3 bars left. Another time to the same island, it used about 12+ gallons.
tractng

Postby ddgtr » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Hobie and BJ,

Thanks for posting, looks like fun!

BJ, I have the exact same ski, including color. Like tractn, I seem to be in the 80 mile per tank range. I launch, ride about 10 to 15 miles to the fishing spot, trawl for at least 6-7 hours if not more without turning off the engine, then ride back another 10 to 15 miles and the gauge shows a bit more than half left in the tank. I'm estimating about 40 miles total...

It also depends: it looks like you guys had great weather, which means you probably rode pretty fast. The best gas mileage on our models occurs when riding at about 3700 rpm, if I remember correctly from some independent test. The faster you go, the more gas you use, so I'm thinking that might be why you got only about 60.

Last but not least, congrats on the fish, it's a nice one!!
Help end jetski restrictions: PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW, WE ONLY HAVE UNTIL JUNE 30!

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComm ... -0228-0321 DIRECT LINK TO COMMENT SITE: LEAVE A COMMENT IN SUPPORT OF PWC FISHING
ddgtr

Postby hobiefish » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 am

We need to teach you to hold that fish in front about 3' so it looks wag bigger! Look at the pics of all the guys that always brag their big fish and they are are always tweaking the pics. This fish actually looked a little bigger than it does in the pic. It will be great sashimi.

A short video of the action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixHvzy_L_sg

BJMin wrote:

I love the open water and the clear blue water; this is my time of the year. A whale may eat me one of these trips but hopefully I won't taste good and he will spit me and my Honda up a few days later. It happened once before! :D

My thumb will be fine although it was screaming in the hot soapy water during washup. Sorry that I ride too hard sometimes and should take a break but I was on a mission to find you a paddy and conditions were perfect except for lack of predators. Next time I won't stress over it.

I think the socal guys better gas up their skis and get ready because it will be game on in the offshore zone below Dana Point in the next few weeks if the weather stays stable. I have never seen this much bait along the local banks in years; hopefully it will produce some predators soon.
hobiefish

Postby Yotsman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:27 pm

You can conserve fuel by running at cruising speeds and staying out of the hole as much as possible. Above all carry a VHF radio when running with Duane. Don't try to keep up with him, or stuff may start breaking off your ski :D
Yotsman

Postby hobiefish » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Yotsman wrote:You can conserve fuel by running at cruising speeds and staying out of the hole as much as possible. Above all carry a VHF radio when running with Duane. Don't try to keep up with him, or stuff may start breaking off your ski :D

Might do the same thing next Saturday if the conditions look good. You Yamaha guys better bring a gas can!! :lol: My Honda still has half a tank of fuel.
hobiefish

Postby Yotsman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Will bring an extra can o petrol n tow rope, just in case :lol:
Yotsman

Postby BJMin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:11 pm

My body's stick aching from the ride.

Yotsman, you are right, I was always playing catch up the whole time

Duane
I'm up for next week.
Will have to use cruise control a bit more to conserve fuel.
BJMin

Next

Return to West Coast: Seattle, California