I lost a monster!

Moderators: hobiefish, Torpedo

I lost a monster!

Postby HawaiianShorts » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:00 pm

thanks to Hobiefish's early morning phone call the day before of a hot bite going off, I decided to load up and try my luck at some halibut fishing. the bait receiver ran out of bait, or at least they won't sell to private boaters, so I had to make my own bait. I would stop here and there on the way to pick up some bait. it was fairly tough but I managed about 20 pieces. when I got to the spot, I see that I am sitting on top a massive bait ball!! :shock: it was literally drop the line right below my feet and instant bait! it was about 0800 by now and not even a nibble. Maybe today was not the day... :roll: then around 0930, as I was checking my line, it started SCREAMING!! This was a BIG fish, and the right kind! It was peeling drag and standard headshaking like a mad dog! I was definitely not ready for this kind of action.. it was towing my ski around! It had to be at least 20lbs+ monster! and then the knot broke......... :cry: :oops:

I gathered myself and try again. dropped a few baits, no love, started paddling around a bit since there's not really any water movement, then WHAM!!! another halibut! I know this is a much smaller one since it gave up the fight rather quickly. by the time it reached the surface it had tired itself out. Got it safely to the ski, secured it, re-rigged and back at it again. But this was the last one for today. Only 2 halibuts.. :)

Enjoy...

making bait

bad knot

9lb 17oz?

28"er!

Front

Back
If you like this site, please click on the Ads!!! The more clicks we get, the more freebies we give out!!!
HawaiianShorts
Site Admin

Re: I lost a monster!

Postby alanhighhand » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Good job Jacky I taught you good finally you got a Halibut. ;)
alanhighhand

Postby Yotsman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Nice Hookup, way to slay 'em Jacky! Alvin and I may shoot for Wed or Thurs if he can dewinterize his ski by then... When are you going out again? Got any numbers for us?

Wait a minute, you almost got me... Isn't 9lb 17oz= 10lb 1oz ;)
Last edited by Yotsman on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yotsman

Postby ddgtr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 am

That's how you fillet a fish!! Clean job!

Two years ago I lost a halibut because I was too lazy to replace a slightly rusted hook. It was a big one and while fighting like a mother he broke my hook and got away. Guess who's changing hooks every time now, LOL...

The one you brought home is a very nice one also, not to mention how good those sardines look in the bait tank! Congrats!

Jackie, what bait do you use to catch the sardines?
Help end jetski restrictions: PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW, WE ONLY HAVE UNTIL JUNE 30!

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComm ... -0228-0321 DIRECT LINK TO COMMENT SITE: LEAVE A COMMENT IN SUPPORT OF PWC FISHING
ddgtr

Postby hobiefish » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:56 am

Are you going to give me an assist on this one?

Good Job on making your own bait and making the most of it; that is why you were rewarded. That is actually probably why you hooked larger ones because mini-macs are like candy for them. I cleared all the little guys out of your path with anchovies on Saturday.

"Halibut fishing is like panning for gold; they are where you catch them". That is all I know about them. I would call two hookups of legal size a good day when halibut fishing!

For you guys in Southern Cal. with skis, conditions are looking good for spring time. Time to get out there.

I wasn't even there and have a picture: :oops:
hobiefish

Postby tractng » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 am

Good eating fish. Someday I will catch one. :lol:
tractng

Postby HawaiianShorts » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 am

i had to run down to dana wharf landing to get some sabiki rigs. those macs were perfect size for some monsters! but one thing I did learn was that you need to be moving!! relying on the wind/current to move you around didn't work too well. I was paddling around and got bit that way.
If you like this site, please click on the Ads!!! The more clicks we get, the more freebies we give out!!!
HawaiianShorts
Site Admin

Postby sammysamsam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:23 pm

nice job Jacky. Were you using a slider or fly lining?
sammysamsam

Postby HawaiianShorts » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 pm

jetski sportfishing version of ball bouncing. :)
HawaiianShorts
Site Admin

Postby hobiefish » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:38 am

HawaiianShorts wrote:jetski sportfishing version of ball bouncing. :)

Were you sore the next day? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
hobiefish

Next

Return to West Coast: Seattle, California