Dana Point 05/31/14

Moderators: hobiefish, Torpedo

Dana Point 05/31/14

Postby socali714 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Finally had some free time from work! Decided to take the ski out on the waters. Got on the waters at about 8:30a-9:00a. Right at the launch were three Sheriff's checking people's tag's and registration. I guess my was good because I never got approached. I launched and headed straight to the bait barge. They had a good selection, all were good and healthy. They had Mackerel and Sardine combo or anchovies. The anchovies were fairly decent size so I went with them. I should have gone with the dines and mackerel. Anchovies weren't bad, just not enough swimming action.

I went out and went to my usual spot for Thresher's. No action the first 30 minutes so I went to another spot that worked for me in the past. I was cruising slowly to the location looking out for any tails, splashing, boils, or birds, but nothing. I got to the spot and threw out the bait. 20-30 minutes passed and nothing. Was a nice and calm day, but no action. I decided to go down a little more. I threw out two lines (one flylined, and one bottom) and within 5 minutes I get a hit. Turns out the bottom fishing pole got hit. Wasn't a Thresher, but was a Shark. Ended up catching this Leopard. I would have released it but it was bleeding out too much.

Wanted to fish more, but didn't want the meat to spoil so I left early. Wasn't a bad day. Could probably have got more but this was good enough. Before I went into the harbor I met another jet ski fisherman. He said he caught a lot of bass in the kelps. Don't know if he's a member of this site, but he had his ski rigged. I brought up my ski to the trailer. As I was washing the ski and finishing up, I seen Duane (hobie) coming in. We talked for a little. He said he was in search of some kelp for the yellows, but didn't have any luck. He did have luck with other fish though.

After going out and meeting fellow anglers on the waters, it got me thinking. We need to set something up guys! Need to catch some big game fish! No Tourneys?

socali714

Re: Dana Point 05/31/14

Postby hobiefish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:11 am

Nice Leopard. I did not get a good look with the way you stuffed him in that cooler.

Did you eat any of it?

The other Jetski guy was probably Ben(Kawasaki ski). He fishes with his brother on the Kayak all the time.

It was hard to recognize you with that fancy new Yamaha ski! See you on the water!

By the way, this is what I was pitching into the rocks for bass:
hobiefish

Postby socali714 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Did not eat any yet. Cut it up when I got home, took a little rest, then went out. Was too tired and lazy on Sunday to cook. Will try it out this weekend when I go back home.

Yeah, that was the guy (Ben). He was on a kawaski and was with his brother. He was a cool guy.

Need to think of a way to set up my rack more securely. Plus, need to purchase a GPS and Fishfinder.
socali714

Postby rev ryder » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 am

COngrats on the Leopard. That's a nice one. Let us know how it serves as table fare.
rev ryder

Postby socali714 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:12 am

Leopeard isn't bad. Had it a few times. Not as good as thresher shark, but it's still good! :D
socali714

Postby 4xmaster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:22 am

What's your method of cooking that leopard shark ?
Can you share ther recipe ? Thanks
4xmaster

Return to West Coast: Seattle, California